Is flying XC your ultimate purpose? Do you already have a good control over thermal flying and do you have your XC license? Do you want to push the needle and want to fly further, not just longer? The purpose of this week is simple: learning how to fly better XC, improve yourself and fly further than ever before. During this week we will bring you to the region with the best XC forecast at the given moment. Empowering you to improve your experience, knowledge and self-confidence as XC-pilot.
Each day starts with a weather forecast, a task, a site briefing, transportation between take-off and landing, and retrieve. Flying together with multiple pilots and expanding your own horizons. It is a training to achieve your own XC objectives. You’ll receive tips and tricks on how to fly better XC. You’ll learn: Where can I find the next thermal? What is the thermal potential during the day? What is the best route? When do you need to accelerate and when do you need to wait? You’ll receive regular updates during the flight on the flying conditions and ‘if possible’ get guidance on finding the best thermals. Before and after flying we will compare tracks and indicate what you could have done better. Where you could have optimized your flight and where the better route would have been.
The XC training will be guided by Bram and Lode. The instructor is Bram Declercq, with 14 years of paragliding experience and a personal record of a 170km triangle. He has the tips and exercises adapted to optimize your personal experience. Lode Spruyt is co-pilot, one of the best XC pilots of our country, he has already done a cross country flight of 416km! He is part of the Belgian team for the PWC (Paragliding World Cup) championship. Together they will take you on various XC tasks, with Bram in the lead, helping to set the perfect line. Lode in pursuit, helping the ones that have fallen behind to pick up the pace.
Before you join the XC training it is highly recommended to join the thermal training first. Setting out challenging XC goals and taking off with high hopes will lead to a lot of frustration if you end up on the landing shortly after. If you are not yet confident you can reach the clouds 90% of the time, it is better to first follow the thermal training. As this is where we will aim to improve your skills to get to cloudbase consistently. In this training we will help you leverage all that gained height, and translate it into distance.
- Theory lessons on XC flying.
- XC flying in practice.
- Predicting the weather and of a “good XC day”.
- Reading the weather situation.
- Making decisions, what line do you choose, where do you look for the following thermals.
- Optimizing the instruments.
- Through briefing and de-briefing we go over how there was flying, we compare tracks and see what was good and what could be better.
- During the flight you will receive regular updates on the conditions in the air, as far as possible you can expect additional hints and tips to optimize your flight.
- 6 days XC flying and coaching.
- Daily meteo briefing, a task description and a site briefing.
- Transport between takeoff and landing, and retrieve.
- De-briefing and analysis of the flight.
- Theory lessons on weather forecasting, XC flying, material.
- Pilots aiming to fly distances of 40 – 50km.
- Certification XC Pilot and IPPI-5 card (this is a required participation condition).
- Being a member of Club Airsport.
- Being a member and a full BVVF insurance.
- Travel assistance insurance.
- Have your own paragliding material, including a GPS.
Wat is the difference with Club XC ?
The Club XC is not an training and is only with 1 supervisor. There you fly XC in group, under supervision, but the chances that you can all fly together with the supervisor is much smaller. During this XC training, the goal is to learn to fly better and receive guidance for your individual trajectory. In addition, you fly together with one of the best competition pilots in the country. So in addition to flying, there will be many opportunities to learn from Lode’s experience.
Where it’s good at the time. We draw an imaginary circle of 1200 km around Mechelen and find the best place for XC flights and that’s where we go. If the weather changes, and there is a better place in a row distance, then we move to another location.
€ 550 for 6 days, € 470 for pilots who fly with a wing bought at the Paraglidingshop.
Other (non included) expenses:
- Residence, target price € 25 – 40 per day
- Own consumption
- All costs are distributed on site
Check the calendar when the next trip is scheduled.XC Training - 03/07/2022 - 08/07/2022 – 03/07/2022 - 08/07/2022 – Flexible in a radius of 1200 km, where the forecast is good. (nog 0 vrije plaatsen)
XC Training - 11/09/2022 - 16/09/2022 – 11/09/2022 - 16/09/2022 – Flexible in a radius of 1200 km, where the forecast is good. (nog 7 vrije plaatsen)